This house is one such mews, built at the back of a Georgian terraced house on leafy Pembroke Road on the south side of the city. The story goes that, when the original house was built in 1847, the owners of the house wanted something to look out at, so a neoclassical false front was constructed to mask the elevation of the more utilitarian mews house at the end of the garden.
The front house and mews are currently owned by an Irish family who resides in America. They had originally intended to build a new house to live in when visiting Ireland. The original mews house was demolished, but planning laws required the neoclassical front to be kept and also required that any new house be clearly contemporary in its ideas, form and materials. The resulting house, which was designed by Irish-American architect Lorcan O’ Herlihy and supervised during construction by Darrell O’ Donoghue of ODOS architects in Dublin, certainly lives up to the planners’ expectations.